DESCRIPTION OF PROFESSIONAL SERVICE CONTRACT FOR WHICH PROPOSALS ARE SOUGHT
APPOINTMENTS SHALL BE FROM JANUARY 1, 2020 THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2020 OR UNTIL A SUCCESSOR IS APPOINTED
The following is a description of the professional services needed, including, where appropriate, a description of tasks involved:
The Municipal Attorney shall be a licensed attorney at law of New Jersey, but need not be a resident of the Township of Delaware. With the prior approval of the Township Committee, the Municipal Attorney shall have such powers and perform such duties as are provided for by the office of Municipal Attorney by general law or ordinances of the Township. The Municipal Attorney shall represent the Township in all judicial and administrative proceedings in which the Township or any of its officers or agencies may be a party or have an interest. The Municipal Attorney shall give all legal counsel and advice, where required by the Township Committee or any member thereof and shall, in general, serve as the legal advisor to the Township Committee on all matters of Township business. In furtherance of such general powers and duties, but without limitation thereto, the Municipal Attorney shall:
- Draft or approve as to form and sufficiency all legal documents, contracts, deeds, ordinances and resolutions made, executed or adopted by or on behalf of the Township including be not limited to the update of personnel manual and implementation of a purchasing manual,
- With appropriate approval, conduct appeals from orders, decisions or judgments affecting any interest of the Township as the Attorney may in his/her discretion determine to be necessary or desirable, or as directed by Township Committee.
- Subject to the approval of Township Committee, have the power to enter into any agreement, compromise or settlement of any litigation in which the Township is involved.
- Render opinions in writing upon any question of law submitted to the Attorney by the Mayor, Committee, or any member thereof, or the head of any department, with respect to their official powers and duties and shall perform such other duties as may be necessary to provide legal counsel to the Mayor, Township Committee and Clerk in the administration of municipal affairs.
- Supervise and direct the work of such additional attorneys and technical professional assistants as the Committee may authorize for special or regular employment in or for the Township.
- Have such other different functions, powers and duties as may be provided by Charter, general law or ordinance.
- Attend approximately 10 Township committee meetings annually. Meetings are scheduled on the second and last Mondays of the month
The Municipal Attorney shall have a minimum of 10 years’ experience serving as a municipal attorney. The Municipal Attorney shall have experience with: 1) Mt. Laurel obligations and COAH; 2) law enforcement matters; 3) litigation involving public entities in connection with land use, sewer and water matters; 4) public contract issues; and 5) OPRA and OPMA issues. 6) representing public entities with respect to Green Acres, Open Space and farmland preservation projects and right to farm issues.
If applicable the applicant for Municipal Attorney will also supply a detailed description of familiarity with public employee relations and collective bargaining unit negotiations and contracts.
Please contact, Jodi McKinney, Township Clerk @ Jmckinney@delawaretwpnj.org or (609) 397-3240 x 2015 for RFP package.